Water Pollution Control
Duties & Responsibilities
The mission of the Water Pollution Control Facility is to protect the rivers and streams that are in or near the City of Chicopee. The department does this by:
- Maintaining the sewers and drain system
- Maintaining the flood control system
- Monitoring industrial waste water
- Storm Water pollution prevention
- Treating the collected sewage
Without access to a sustainable water supply, our community is at risk. Service disruptions for failing or inadequate wastewater infrastructure directly impacts medical facilities, schools, daycares, and firehouses, just to mention a few. Nearly every aspect of our lives is connected to water. Without clean water services, our lives would stop.
In 2016, Water Pollution Control staff completed the following work:
- 82,678 feet of sewer main cleaning on 393 streets
- 44,903 feet of sewer video inspections on 206 streets
- 41,228 feet of sewer main root cutting on 192 streets
- 308 catch basin cleanings on 84 streets
- 181 drainage areas cleaned and maintained
- 230 catch basins labeled on 52 streets
- Installation of 23,412 feet of brand new sewer and drain pipe
- Sewer separation of 3 different neighborhoods
The Water Pollution Control Facility is located at 80 Medina Street.
Become informed on the many issues related to Water Pollution Control that affect you as citizens of Chicopee...
- Much of the wastewater infrastructure in the United States- more than 700,000 miles of pipes- is at a crisis point. By investing in the system, we are helping to maintain our quality of life and protecting our community from public health and environmental concerns.
- Your water/wastewater bill supports the ongoing and essential cycle between safe drinking water and wastewater treatment. Your neighbors working in the public utilities sector ensure those services work effectively and in unison to protect your community, your environment, and your quality of life!
- Join your wastewater utility in being a part of the solution. Together, we can ensure clean, safe water is accessible to every community in Chicopee.